Notes on travelling: why I will never ever stop

This is me a couple of years ago, doing legs-up-the wall as I do each and every night before sleep, in our Thai inspired bungalow, on the roof of our house in Ibiza. "Us" is me and my Israeli husband- yes, he is Israeli, and he left his country when he was 21 and he travelled across Australia on a motorbike, and never really stopped moving- only a few years in Goa, another few years in New York, and lots of other travels, until he settled in Ibiza. 
I left Sweden when i was 20, and came back a few times to work and try to sometimes live there, but I never felt at home there. I always kept wanting to travel more and more. I was sometimes asked "when are you gonna come home and settle down" and I always made up different answers that would satisfy the person asking. Deep inside I always knew I would never "settle down" in Sweden. 
People would tell me that I "can't keep travelling when I have children" and I always knew they were wrong. 
Travelling is in my blood. Some define it as having a "gypsy soul" and I do believe in some level that some people just have this- peace in movement. 
But there is something much more simple to the travelling, which I realised with a very everyday, simple comparison that I did a week ago, when coming back from Sweden, where I'd spent two weeks with my two little boys. 
I decided to go to my usual grocery store- Hiper Centro- and do it the other way around. 
I normally always do the same round. First to the water, then the vegetables and fruits, then the meats, the cheese, the fish... and so on. 
But this time, I decided to start from the end. And what happened? Well, this happened:
I saw everything differently. 

I SAW EVERYTHING DIFFERENTLY.

I saw new things. I bought different things. I ended up with a shopping cart full of foods I never bought before- and ended up cooking new things I didn't cook before. And what is so wonderful about this? This is what is so wonderful:
It made me EXPAND. It made me challenge myself. It made me use all my senses. And that, in turn, makes me feel genuinely HAPPY.

And this is exactly what I love about travelling, and what makes me addicted to travelling, and what makes travelling something I will never, ever stop for as long as I live: 
Feeling alive, using all my senses, and constantly expanding myself in all directions. When I was at the height of my travelling-career, I wanted to go further and further, to more and more far away and strange places. I loved the feeling of being "out-of-place", or sitting on a train for 3 days. 

No, I don't always love travelling, yes, it's a fucking challenge to drag two small kids on and off airplanes. BUT IT MAKES ME FEEL ALIVE! And I grow, and I expand, and I get inspired. 
New smells, new tastes, new visions, new sounds. I'm alive. Fully and wholly. 

I am unable to do things the exact same way every day. It makes me feel dead. I refuse to die before I die. I'll keep travelling til the last breath. If it means only doing the grocery shopping upside down and inside out as a 99-year old, then that's what it'll be. 

This winter- INDIA (we meet again, Madame)

Comments

  1. Hope your gypsy soul makes it to the Wild Wild West one day :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully wrote.
    I've had Noam on my Facebook friends for about 4 or more years now and I think there is the only two on my friends list I haven't actually met in person. Both of which live on Ibiza and I intend to change that someday.
    I have a comfort zone that I love to break by travelling alone.
    It's not something everyone can do.
    I've met the best people this way and I never feel alone.
    Maybe it's being an only child and my mother telling me "if you're not happy in your own company, who can you be happy with" that let's me be comfortable in most situations.
    I'm now divorced and have a 9yr old son who I see anytime I can or want.
    I don't travel as much as I did or want, but I know I can, which is good enough for now :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment